Top 10 Things to do in August
1. Brunch has finally arrived - Starting on August 7, Sunday Funday is finally upon the city of Charleston. Local establishments will be allowed to serve alcoholic drinks beginning at 10:00 am on Sunday's. Enjoy brunch, with a refreshing adult beverage at local establishments like; Bluegrass Kitchen, Lola's, Adelphia, Black Sheep Burrito and Charleston Brewing Company. For an update list of all the restaurants serving brunch on August 7, visit the Brunch Facebook page.
2. Come out to Magic Island on August 19 - 21 for Sportsfest. This free event showcases more than 800 athletes who come to compete in a variety of sports. Come out and spectate some of the best in Pro Watercross, volleyball, 3 on 3 basketball, grappling and more. Also during Sportsfest check out Appalachian Boarding Company who will be down at Magic Island as they will be doing Stand up and Paddle and Kayaking - prices may vary on packages. Then downtown on Saturday Night right after Downtown Streetfest, will be Sportsfest Glow Run 5k. So get creative on your attire as we light up the streets of Charleston.
3. Named as one of the Top 20 events by Southeast Tourism Society - Girls Night Out is the party with a purpose to end domestic violence. Take part in the largest women - only fundraiser on August 13 at the West Virginia Culture Center. Enjoy a evening of dancing, local food, good spirits and much more. Tickets are now on sale for this event. You must be 21 and over to attend this event. Also for ladies still looking for the right purple attire, remember to shop small and check out these Charleston retailers Charlie's, Ivor's, Heidi Dylan, Geraniums, and The Initialed Life to find that unique attire.
4. The Charleston neighborhoods are uniting to have a flood relief fundraiser at Appalachian Power Park on August 16. There will be live music, food vendors from ten local establishments, silent auction of the arts and much more. This event is free to attend and a portion of the proceeds will go to a local relief program to help the recent flood victims in the area.
5. The Charleston Light Opera Guild and Clay Center for the Arts and Science have united to bring Disney's classic tale Beauty and the Beast to the stage. It's the story of a beautiful girl who becomes the companion of a brutish beast to save her father's life. Tickets are now on sale, showtimes are on August 5, 6, 7, 12, & 14.
6. Bring friends, bring a chair and get to String'n Beans for a good cause at the Capitol Market on August 13. Bring your own beans or buy beans from local farmers and donate to Manna Meal!
7. Come together to Mulifest August 5 - 7 at Haddad Riverfront Park. This festival brings various cultural and ethnic communities together in an atmosphere of tolerance and good will through art, music, education and cultural programs and cuisine. Join in and celebrate in its 27th year.
8. You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream! On August 14 come out to South Charleston for United Way's SunDae FunDae, it will be a day of interactive carnival games and of course ice cream!
9. The annual South Charleston Summerfest will be held on August 17 through the 20. The event will be held "around the mound" in downtown South Charleston. It will be a fun filled weekend for the entire family with live music, free snow cones, cotton candy, Jupiter jump and face painting.
10. It doesn't get any sweeter on August 27 at Valley Park in Hurricane for the 3rd annual Cupcake Festival. It's a day for the entire family, the event kicks off with a Cupcake Chase 5K Run/Walk. Followed by a classic car and motorcycle cruise in. There will be craft and food vendors set up and a Lil' Miss and Lil' Mister Cupcake Pageant.
Share the fun
Make sure when you are enjoying all of Charleston's summer fun, to post pictures and tag us on social media by using #CWV.
Request a Travel Guide
Plan your trip to Charleston today. Click Here